Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Happy Housekeeper

I had heard tale, for many a moon, that things change dramatically after your child begins to walk. So, as often as I could (hopefully without people feeling like I was a crazy stalker or something), I would pose this question to mommies I knew with toddlers, "How exactly is it different when they start walking?"

It was pure curiosity on my part. I mean, it wasn't like I was actually going to do anything until Dashell started walking. (As I've mentioned before, I'm kind of a "take it as it comes" girl.) But I did really want to know, because I just couldn't quite figure out what would be different.

As a crawler, Dashy is super fast and there was no way that I could imagine that he would be any faster once he was prancing around upright.

Also, he could already stand up on his own and so once he was walking it wasn't like he was going to reach anything that he couldn't reach
already.

I just could not figure it out. And I have to say, the mommies I asked did not really offer much insight other than, "It's just a lot different." Not really the level of detail I was looking for. And, "It's nice. You don't have to carry them as much since you can just hold their hand and they can walk places." Okay, maybe this one was a little more specific and, consequently, helpful.

Dashell is getting awfully heavy. And when he insists that I hold him each morning while I prepare his French Toast/Smoothie/Omelette breakfast (spoiled a little?) my right arm definitely aches like I have done 200 curls with a 25 lb. weight! Buuuut.... Dashy being able to walk is not going to remedy the fact that he will still not be tall enough to see my magnificent culinary performance in action, up on top of the kitchen counter. So, I continued to be a bit perplexed.

And then, Dashell started walking. At first, not much changed. Just a few more cuts and bruises. He wasn't bothered by them, so the effect to my world - zero. But then, things started to get a little interesting... Yes, he was still the same height. But instead of honing in on table top objects only when he was standing near the actual table, he would now lock those same objects in on his radar from across the room and then wind his way over to them with gusto. It wasn't that he could reach more things, but that they crossed his plane of vision far more often and so they became far more interesting... far more often!

So, measuring how far he could reach and rearranging my objets d'art became a new past time of mine.

Soon after, something even more intriguing kicked in... I began to notice that I wasn't the only one who had taken up redecorating as a new past time. Many of my household cleaning items started to seem as though they had legs of their own. Then I discovered the real story...













































































































I have to say, I don't hold the same affinity for cleaning items as my son seems to. In fact, I several years ago I boycotted cleaning and hired a housekeeper because I simply could not keep up with my husband (who I nicknamed "the tornado of destruction") and still keep a smile glued to my face. (Quick note: My husband does have many other fabulous redeeming qualities!) So it's not like Dashy is imitating me or anyone else he sees regularly. But I have to admit, it was love at first sight when he first laid eyes on a broom!

And lately he has been quite smitten with the Swiffer...

Just in case you're wondering... yes, it's freakin' me out a little. Do you think he's trying to lead by example?!

And from cleaning-items-on-the-go there has been a bit of a progression. Now that Dashy is feels more secure in the walking department, his devilish side revealed itself this weekend...

Arlo (our #1 son, before Dashell came along) has had a wubby, basically, since birth. He treasures his wubby. And finds great comfort in sucking on it regularly.



















Dashell understands that the wubby belongs to Arlo, but this weekend that did not matter one bit...





































Dashy roared into high gear and tried to make a break for it...



















...but Arlo was hot on his heels...





































...so Dashy decided to do something really uncool...














...and then the little coward tried to hide in the fireplace basket!



















I have to say that Arlo was a bit nonplussed...



















So there you have it. If you are on the brink of toddler-hood and wondering, like I was, what the heck the difference is. The mommies were right, "It's just a lot different." And who knows what your little one will have a penchant for. But if he's like mine, maybe you should consider putting your feet up and letting your precious angel revel in Swiffering your floor for a while!

3 comments:

Pat said...

Very cute story and I love the music you put on the video's.

nickoletta100 said...

Want to hire him out? Our floors can always use a good swiffering!

Joycee said...

Magnus was the same way! Always sweeping away. He even likes to empty out the dishwasher for me. I never knew I could give birth to a housekeeper!

Congrats (belated) to Dashell for walking. I can tell you, assuming since he is a boy, that the real "fun" starts when they climb up onto things. Furniture, entertainment centers, tables, etc. Magnus is pretty keen on stacking things to make it his own personal stepstool so he can reach the things he's not supposed to...the inside of the fish tank for example. It's all in good fun though!